Wednesday 8 February 2012

Today the sun is shining to break the rather relentless grey. Yeah! It's cold, and our newly aquired goat kid, Holly, is struggling to adjust to her new life here. She is only 8 weeks old and is finding it cold in the barn. The other goats are not accepting her yet. Goats can be so mean! They butt their heads into her and won't let her snuggle up with them. She is one of the sweetest little creatures I've known though, with her long floppy, Nubian ears and lovely soft nose. She nuzzles up and when you hold her, she snuggles right up against you.

I'm growing micro greens in the window to ward off the yearnings for fresh produce that comes with the winter months. This year we have a newly erected hoop house, and although I've got a cold frame inside it, the ground is still freezing. I've optimistically tried planting a few hardy seeds in there twice already, but it just keeps freezing up.

It has been such a strange winter so far. Very mild, then we get a snowfall but it melts the next day. February is the first time we've had any snow and cold that have lasted. I'm worried about my plants, in January the lilacs and blueberries were starting to bud out! Now it is cold again. I'm hoping they can adjust.

No comments:

Post a Comment